- Abell, Arthur M., 1868-1958
- Call number
- JOB 88-4
- Physical description
- 6 cubic ft. (17 boxes)
- Chiefly in German and English; some letters in French and Russian
- Preferred Citation
Arthur M. Abell papers, Music Division, The New York Public Library
- Music Division
- Access to materials
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
Correspondence (chiefly 1905-1958) including ca. 1000 autograph letters collected by Mr. Abell; mss. of articles and book chapters; concert programs; newspaper and magazine clippings; calling cards; photographs and other pictures including more than 150 portraits of musicians, many of them autographed; and other material. Includes extensive correspondence from Leopold Auer, Max Bruch, Serge Koussevitzky, Isidore Philipp, Xaver Scharwenka; and 6 or more letters each from Fannie Bloomfield-Zeisler, Willy Burmester, Carl Flesch, Ossip Gabrilowitsch, Rudolf Ganz, Etelka Gerster-Gardini, Arthur Hartmann, Hugo Heerman, Ernst Hutcheson, Hugo Kaun, Juan Manén, Robert Schauffler, Arnold T. Schwab, Christian Sinding, Theodore Spiering, Richard Strauss, Amadeo von der Hoya, and Anton Witek.
American music critic Arthur M. Abell, 1868-1958, was Berlin correspondent for the Musical Courier from 1893 to 1918, and was a music critic for the New York Times and other publications until his death. He wrote the book Talks with Great Composers, his reminiscences of conversations with Brahms, Strauss, Puccini, Humperdinck, Bruch, and Grieg. He knew many musicians both obscure and famous, and as a former violinist himself, especially befriended other violinists.
Bequest of Louise (Miller) Abell, 1980.
Source of acquisition
The Arthur M. Abell papers were a gift from his wife, Louise Abell, in 1978.
Processed by Fran Barulich and Bob Kosovsky; date completed: September 1988.
- Abell, Arthur M
- Abell, Arthur M., 1868-1958
- Auer, Leopold, 1845-1930
- Bloomfield-Zeisler, Fannie, 1863-1927
- Bruch, Max, 1838-1920
- Burmester, Willy, 1869-1933
- Flesch, Carl, 1873-1944
- Gabrilowitsch, Ossip, 1878-1936
- Ganz, Rudolph, 1877-1972
- Gerster, Etelka, 1855-1920
- Hartmann, Arthur, 1881-1956
- Heerman, Hugo, 1844-1935
- Hoya, Amadeo von der, 1874-1922
- Hutcheson, Ernest, 1871-1951
- Kaun, Hugo, 1863-1932
- Koussevitzky, Serge, 1874-1951
- Manén, Juan, 1883-1971
- Philipp, Isidore, 1863-1958
- Scharwenka, Xaver, 1850-1924
- Schauffler, Robert Haven, 1879-1964
- Schwab, Arnold T
- Sinding, Christian, 1856-1941
- Spiering, Theodore, 1871-1925
- Strauss, Richard, 1864-1949
- Witek, Anton, 1872-1933
Using the collection
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498
Access to materialsCollection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
Conditions Governing Use
For permission to publish, contact the Curator of the Music Division.