- Bayfield, St. Clair, 1875-1967
- Call number
- *T-Mss 1989-004
- Physical description
- 2 linear feet (4 boxes, 6 scrapbooks)
- Preferred Citation
- St. Clair Bayfield Papers, Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library
- Billy Rose Theatre Division
- Access to materials
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
St. Clair Bayfield (John St. Clair Roberts), a character actor known for his many Shakespearean roles, was born August 2, 1875 in Cheltenham, England. After Mr. Bayfield died on May 19, 1967, his widow, Kathleen Bayfield, helped to establish an annual award in his name. The award, administered by Actors Equity Association, is given to an actor or actress in a non-featured role in a Shakespearean production. The St. Clair Bayfield collection contains clippings, correspondence, photographs, a poster, programs, scripts and other material that document Mr. Bayfield's acting career and the St. Clair Bayfield awards.
Source of acquisition2.5 lin. ft.: Gift, Bayfield, Kathleen (Estate), 02/--/89
Using the collection
LocationBilly Rose Theatre Division
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498