- New York Public Library. Tompkins Square Branch
- Call number
- MssArc RG8 5875
- Physical description
- 3 linear feet (7 boxes)
- Preferred Citation
Tompkins Square Branch Records, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library.
- New York Public Library Archives
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.Restrictions apply
The Tompkins Square Branch traces its origins to the Fifth Street Branch of the Aguilar Free Library, which opened in 1887 at 624 Fifth Street on Manhattan's lower east side. The branch moved several times prior to the 1903 merger of the Aguilar Free Library with NYPL. In 1904 it opened in a new building at 331 East 10th Street, facing Tompkins Square Park. The building was designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, and was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. Traditionally, Tompkins Square has served varied ethnic populations, including German, Italian, Jewish, Polish, and Ukrainian, and, since the 1960s, a thriving arts community. A major renovation of the branch was completed in 1996. Reports, clippings, scrapbooks and administrative files documenting operations of the Tompkins Square Branch of The New York Public Library.
Source of acquisition
Transferred from Tompkins Square Branch Library.
Compiled Jim Moske; machine readable finding aid created by FAKER.
Using the collection
LocationNew York Public Library Archives
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Box 7 closed to research.