Scope and arrangement
The Edward Geier Freehafer Records pertain to New York Public Library financial matters, fund raising, library space, preservation of older library materials, acquisitions of new collections of art, manuscripts and rare books, and the introduction of library automation. The records consist primarily of correspondence, but also include clippings, memoranda, newsletters, press releases, reports and speeches. The records span the years 1948-1971, with the majority dating from 1954-1970. Correspondence with government agencies, corporations, foundations, and other libraries, as well as New York Public Library offices and departments, make up the bulk of the collection. Records concerning the fiftieth anniversary of the 1911 opening of the Central Building document the planning of events and community responses to the anniversary. Freehafer's personal files contain materials not directly related to The Library, such as membership in professional associations, family genealogy, personal friendships, philanthropy, and travel. Records, 1956-1970, of Assistant Director John Cory concern the planning and construction of the performing arts library at Lincoln Center.
The Edward Geier Freehafer records are arranged in five series:
- 1954-197134 boxes
Papers concerning relations with corporations, foundations, government agencies, other libraries, and individuals not employed by NYPL. These files consist mostly of correspondence, but also include clippings, memoranda, newsletters, press releases, reports, and other documents. Most of the files are from 1955-1967. These records primarily document fund raising activities of NYPL, and the acquisition of collections of art, books, and manuscripts from individual donors. They also provide information on issues in the field of library science, such as inter-library loan policies and the development of library automation. The series has been divided into two subseries that follow the original order of the records. Materials relating to New York City agencies can be found in both subseries. For additional information, see the subseries descriptions below.
- 1954-197114 boxes
The records consist mostly of clippings, incoming and outgoing letters, memoranda, notes, reports, and telephone logs relating to the internal operations of NYPL. They mainly document NYPL endeavors in which the Director's Office was actively involved, especially fiscal planning, fund raising, and the opening of new branch libraries. For more detailed information, see the subseries descriptions below.
- 1948-19613 boxes, 1 oversize folder
Arranged alphabetically by subject or by the name of the corporate body that produced the records. The records consist of agendas, articles, budgets, clippings, contracts, ephemera, guest lists, invitations, invoices, medallions, memoranda, minutes, newsclippings, medallions, notes, organization charts, programs, press-releases, and telegrams, and other materials relating to the fiftieth anniversary of NYPL. The vast majority of the material dates from, 1960-1961. The records mainly concern the planning of the formal luncheons, dinners, and receptions held in 1961 to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the opening of NYPL's Central Library Building. The papers also record the production of a booklet and a medallion to commemorate this occasion. The presentation of the anniversary events to the media is especially well documented. The papers also provide information on community responses to the anniversary. Additional information about the fiftieth anniversary events can be found in the correspondence in Series I, Subseries A.
- 1952-19708 boxes
The records consist mostly of articles, clippings, greeting cards, incoming and outgoing letters, invitations, and speeches relating to Edward Freehafer's professional and social life. The bulk of the papers date from 1954-1960. For more detailed information, see the subseries descriptions below.
- 1956-19704 boxes
These records consist mostly of clippings, incoming and outgoing letters, memoranda, and reports. All of the files pertain to the activities at NYPL facilities at the Lincoln Center. The bulk of the papers date from after the appointment of James M. Cory as Deputy Director of NYPL in 1963. Topics include outside companies or consultants with contracts for work at the Lincoln Center; the operations of the Lincoln Center, such as the planning of the performing arts programs, employee salary and benefits, city appropriations for the operation of the center, and the opening of the center's gift shop; contruction and operation of the Lincoln Center, such as the hiring of outside consultants, the planning of exhibits, the acquisition of books and materials for the Schomburg collection, fundraising, the contracting of construction work. The activities of the Lincoln Center Council are especially well documented in these papers.