- Waldorf-Astoria Hotel (New York, N.Y.)
- Call number
- MssCol 3203
- Physical description
- 88 linear feet (17 boxes and 627 volumes)
- Preferred Citation
- Waldorf-Astoria Hotel records, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
The Waldorf-Astoria Hotel was originally built as the Waldorf Hotel at Fifth Avenue and 33rd St. in New York City in 1893 and was merged with the Astoria Hotel in 1897. The hotel was torn down in 1929 and the new Waldorf-Astoria Hotel opened in 1931 on Park Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets. The collection contains records of the original Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City from the opening of the Waldorf Hotel in 1893 to the closing of the Waldorf-Astoria in 1929. Most of the records cover the period from the 1890s through 1917. Included are guest registers; hotel correspondence of managers Oscar Tschirky and Willard H. Barse; registers of special event bookings, of package deliveries, and of lost and found articles; hotel investigator's logs; floor plans; and examples of the many types of financial records kept by the hotel.
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328