- Bittner, Herbert
- Call number
- *T-Vim 2011-067
- Physical description
- 3 boxes (104 drawings), some col. mounted on board, 39 x 54 cm. or smaller; 3 boxes (104 drawings), some col. mounted on board, 39 x 54 cm. or smaller
- Some drawings include notes in German or Italian
- Preferred Citation
- Herbert Bittner collection of scenic designs, compiled by Herbert Bittner ca. 1940s, Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library
- Billy Rose Theatre Division
- Access to materials
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
Publisher and editor of art books, Herbert Bittner was born in Breslau, Germany. He moved to the United States in 1934. Bittner owned a publishing house specializing in fine art, and authored and edited several books on art and leading artists. He died in New York in 1960. Drawings of stage design in pencil, ink, or watercolor on paper, mounted on board, drawn by European designers of the late 18th and 19th century, such as Joseph Platzer, Lorenzo Sacchetti, and anonymous designers from the Austrian and Northern Italian Schools.
Using the collection
LocationBilly Rose Theatre Division
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498