- Bernstein, Aline, 1881-1955
- Call number
- *T-Mss 2008-009
- Physical description
- .1 linear feet (1 portfolio)
- Preferred Citation
- Letters to Samuel Bradley, Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library
- Billy Rose Theatre Division
- Access to materials
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
Costume and set designer for the American theater, Aline Bernstein worked with the Lewisohn sisters at the Henry Street Settlement, designed productions for the Grand Street Follies, five Lillian Hellman plays, and two RKO spectaculars, and received a Tony award for her costumes for the opera Regina (1950), among other highlights. She was also an author and helped establish the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art serving as its president for the last nine years of her life. Seven letters by Bernstein to a young admirer of her writing. Also some copies of his letters to her and two clippings.
Source of acquisitionPurchase, 2008
Using the collection
LocationBilly Rose Theatre Division
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498