- Burgtheater (Vienna, Austria)
- Call number
- *T-Mss 1998-034
- Physical description
- (1 volume)
- In German
- Preferred Citation
- Burgtheater scrapbook of clippings, Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library
- Billy Rose Theatre Division
- Access to materials
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
The Burgtheater, one of the pre-eminent theaters of the German-speaking world, was founded in 1741 as the court theater of the Hapsburgs and declared a national theater in 1776. In 1888 its move from an intimate theater in the Hofburg to a palatial building seemed to threaten its ensemble style of acting, but under the direction of Max Burckhard, it successfully made the transition to new quarters. Scrapbook of mounted clippings lists casts for performances, September 1, 1888 to April 8, 1896, just after the theater's move.
Using the collection
LocationBilly Rose Theatre Division
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498