- Clurman, Harold, 1901-1980
- Call number
- *T-Mss 1957-001
- Physical description
- .2 linear feet (1 portfolio)
- Preferred Citation
- Harold Clurman's reviews for the Nation, Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library
- Billy Rose Theatre Division
- Access to materials
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
Harold Clurman, director, author, teacher, critic, and occasional actor, was born Harold Edgar Clurman on September 18, 1901, in New York City, son of Samuel M. and Bertha (Saphir) Clurman. Mr. Clurman was co-founder of the Group Theatre (1931) and was made executive consultant of the Repertory Theatre of Lincoln Center. He became theater critic for "The Nation" in 1953 and also wrote for the "London Observer", "New Republic" and "Tomorrow Magazine". He married Stella Adler in 1943, he later married actress Juleen Compton. Mr. Clurman died in New York City on September 9, 1980. Harold Clurman's reviews contain handwritten drafts of his review column "Theatre", as well as book reviews.
Source of acquisitionGift, Sondra Berkowitz, 03/07/57
Using the collection
LocationBilly Rose Theatre Division
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498