- Alvary, Lorenzo, 1909-1996
- Call number
- *L (Special) 06-06
- Physical description
- 1859 sound recordings, analog; 1859 sound recordings, analog; 9, analog, 5 in.; 9, analog, 5 in.; 1545, analog, 7 in.; 1545, analog, 7 in.; 71, analog, 10 in.; 71, analog, 10 in.; 240, analog; 240, analog
- Preferred Citation
- Opera Topics radio program collection [sound recording], Lorenzo Alvary, host, Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound, The New York Public Library
- Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
- Access to materials
- Access to original items by permission only. Some items may be available as service copies. Other items which need preservation work may require advance notification for use. Refer to item descriptions in individual catalog records for more information.
Lorenzo Alvary, a hungarian born operatic bass, hosted the radio program titled "Opera Topics" between 1963 and 1984. It aired principally on WNYC, New York, and consisted of interviews with contemporary opera singers, historians, and impresarios, as well as reports of operatic performances from around the world. Selected guests include: Claudio Abbado; Licia Albanese; Ezio Flagello; Boris Goldovsky; Herbert Graf; Dimitri Kabalevski; Lauritz Melchior; Gian Carlo Menotti, among many others. Collection consists of recordings of the radio program "Opera Topics" from broadcasts on WNYC. Includes notebooks containing press releases describing the subjects discussed in chronological order.
Using the collection
LocationRodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498