- Chapman, Gilbert W.
- Call number
- *L (Special) 89-36
- Physical description
- 17 sound discs, analog; 17 sound discs, analog; 11, analog aluminum and glass-based acetate, 10 in.; 11, analog aluminum and glass-based acetate, 10 in.; 6, analog aluminum-based acetate, 12 in.; 6, analog aluminum-based acetate, 12 in.
- Preferred Citation
- Gilbert W. Chapman collection of sound recordings [sound recording], Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound, The New York Public Library
- Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
- Access to materials
- Access to original items by permission only. Some items may be available as service copies. Other items which need preservation work may require advance notification for use. Refer to item descriptions in individual catalog records for more information.Restrictions apply
Gilbert W. Chapman was a business executive in New York City who served as Director of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of The New York Public Library. The collection consists of noncommercial sound recordings including performances by Jascha Heifetz and Larry Adler of popular chamber music; a performance of Aaron Avshalomoff's Symphony no. 2 by the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra conducted by Thor Johnson; a speech by Mrs. Gilbert Chapman broadcast in 1943 promoting the American Women's Voluntary Services; and radio and television interviews with Gilbert W. Chapman and dancer Alexandra Danilova. The interviews with Chapman were recorded from 1956 to 1962 and concern literacy and education in the United States. Notable television and radio programs represented in the collection include the Tex and Jinx television program; a Monitor radio program; and a Lee Graham television interview. Also included is the opening address (given by Mr. Chapman) of the New York Public Library 50th anniversary convocation, and a radio program featuring a story about the WNYC book festival.
- Chapman, Gilbert W.
- Adler, Larry (Performer)
- Avshalomov, Aaron, 1894-1965
- Chapman, Gilbert W., Mrs (Commentator)
- Danilova, Alexandra, 1907-1997
- Graham, Lee (Interviewer)
- Heifetz, Jascha, 1901-1987 (Performer)
- Johnson, Thor (Conductor)
- American Women's Voluntary Services
- Cincinnati symphony orchestra
- New York Public Library
- WNYC (Radio station : New York, N.Y.)
- Libraries and education -- United States
- Literacy -- United States
- Radio programs
- Women and war -- United States
Using the collection
LocationRodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498
Access to materialsAccess to original items by permission only. Some items may be available as service copies. Other items which need preservation work may require advance notification for use. Refer to item descriptions in individual catalog records for more information.
Access to original acetate discs restricted.