- New York Public Library. Ottendorfer Branch
- Physical description
- 2.5 linear feet (6 boxes)
- Preferred Citation
Ottendorfer Branch Records, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library.
- New York Public Library Archives
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
The Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library originated in 1884 as part of the New York Free Circulating Library, which merged with NYPL in 1901. The library building, located in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, was designed by German-born architect William Schickel and was constructed with funds provided by Oswald Ottendorfer, owner of the New-Yorker Staats-Zeitung. At the time, the neighborhood was called Kleindeutschland (Little Germany) and had a population of over 150,000 people of German descent. Reports, administrative files and publicity material documenting operations of the Ottendorfer Branch of The New York Public Library.
Source of acquisition
Transferred from Ottendorfer Branch Library.
Compiled by Jim Moske; machine readable finding aid created by Jim Moske.
Using the collection
LocationNew York Public Library Archives
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328