Scope and arrangement
The records of the New Dorp Branch Library date from 1909-1992 and consist of annual reports, correspondence, circulation records, news clippings, flyers, a guest book, memoranda, press releases, registration books, a scrapbook and other materials. The records document the history of the New Dorp Community Library (1907-1920) and its gradual incorporation into the New York Public Library. The bulk of the collection dates from after the 1928 construction of a new building to house the library as a sub-branch of the NYPL. The main sources for the history of the library prior to 1928 are the circulation statistics (1909-1918) and the correspondence (1919-1928). For the later period, the annual reports are the most important single source of information. They document the patterns of book circulation and provide information on the range of programs sponsored by the library, such as art exhibits, classes, lectures, films, and children's activities. Some of the activities are documented in greater detail in other materials. The records also provide information on the interaction between the library and the wider community, especially during the city's fiscal crisis in the mid-1970s.