- New York Public Library. Jackson Square Branch.
- Physical description
- .33 linear feet (1 box)
- Preferred Citation
Jackson Square Branch Records, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library.
- New York Public Library Archives
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
The Jackson Square Branch of The New York Public Library originated in 1888 as a branch of The New York Free Circulating Library, which merged with NYPL in 1901. George W. Vanderbilt provided funds to build and furnish the Jackson Square building at 251 West 13th Street in Manhattan. The architect was Richard Morris Hunt, who had also designed the Lenox Library. Throughout its history the branch counted a large number of writers, artists and theater people among its users. During the 1940s the branch built up its Spanish language book collection to meet the needs of a growing Hispanic population. The Jackson Square Branch was closed in 1967, and many of its services were transferred to the nearby Jefferson Market Branch. Administrative records and news clippings documenting operations of the Jackson Square Branch of The New York Public Library.
Source of acquisition
Transferred from Jackson Square Branch Library.
Compiled by Jim Moske; machine readable finding aid created by Jim Moske.
Using the collection
LocationNew York Public Library Archives
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328