- Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821
- Physical description
- 1 item (3 p.), (fol.); 1 item (3 p.), (fol.)
- Preferred Citation
- Autograph letter signed "Veuve de Buonaparte" : to the Controller of Finances, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Autograph letter, 1787 or 1788, to the Controller of Finances of France, signed "Veuve de Buonaparte", 3 pp. folio. In French. The letter, which was written by Napoleon on behalf of his mother, Letizia, petitions the government for compensation for losses suffered when the government canceled its contract made in 1782 with Charles Buonaparte for a mulberry plantation in connection with a plan to introduce the cultivation of silk on the island of Corsica. Bound in full red French levant.
Source of acquisitionLetter: Gift, 2001, Gilder Lehrman Collection
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328