- Lawrence, Thomas, A.M.
- Call number
- MssCol 3457
- Physical description
- .1 linear feet (1 folder)
- Preferred Citation
- Thomas Lawrence letters, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Thomas Lawrence was a tailor who emigrated from Brighton, England to New York City in 1852. This collection contains letters addressed to Thomas Lawrence from relatives and friends (including William Roberts) in England, 1852-1863. Topics include economic and social conditions in England, such as wages, costs, imprisonment for debt, cholera, funeral customs, legislation prohibiting burials in towns, emigration to Australia, and other topics
- Funeral rites and ceremonies -- England -- 19th century
- Tailors -- England -- Brighton -- 19th century
- Tailors -- New York (State) -- New York -- 19th century
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright retained by any document's creator