- Call number
- MssCol 3403
- Physical description
- .4 linear feet (1 box)
- Preferred Citation
- Yankee baseball collection, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
The New York Yankee Baseball Club originated in Baltimore in 1900 as the Orioles when the American League was founded. In 1903 the team was moved to New York City and became known as the Highlanders. A consortium headed by Jacob Ruppert bought the team in 1914 and renamed it the Yankees. Collection consists of minutes, memoranda and other records of the New York Yankees and their Newark farm club in the International League. Bulk of the Yankee records is minutes of the board of directors and stockholder meetings between 1913 and 1945. Topics include the purchase of land for Yankee Stadium, leasing and rental arrangements, League reorganization, insurance and banking matters, board elections, effect of wartime policies on baseball, broadcasting negotiations, the death of Jacob Ruppert, and other business dealings of the club. Also, club by-laws, internal memoranda, and records of the Newark club, 1931-1950.
Source of acquisitionPurchase, Apfelbaum, Charles, 1982
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328