- Nordhoff, Charles, 1830-1901
- Physical description
- .3 linear feet (1 box)
- Preferred Citation
- Charles Nordhoff letters, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Charles Nordhoff (1830-1901) was an American journalist and author. He edited the New York Evening Post from 1857 to 1871, was the New York Herald's Washington correspondent from 1874 to 1890, and wrote political works and books about the sea. He advocated the Union cause in the U.S. Civil War. Collection consists of Nordhoff's letters to Gordon Lester Ford concerning personal matters, journalism and other subjects; and letters to Worthington C. Ford relating to topics such as the New York Herald and the tariff.
Source of acquisitionGift, Ford collection
- American newspapers -- New York (State) -- New York
- Journalism -- New York (State) -- New York
- Tariff -- United States
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Alternative form available
Entire collection available on microfilm; New York Public Library