- Gouverneur & Kemble
- Call number
- MssCol 1186
- Physical description
- .2 linear feet (1 volume)
- Preferred Citation
Gouverneur & Kemble letter book, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
- The entirety of this collection has been digitized and is available online.
Gouverneur & Kemble was a prominent New York City mercantile firm established in the late 18th century. Collection consists of letter book with copies of the firm's business correspondence relating to the sending of ships to the West Indies, Europe and China; the effect of the war between France and England on commerce; and information about the suit of Le Guin v. Gouverneur & Kemble.
Digitization was made possible by a lead gift from The Polonsky Foundation.
Source of acquisition
Compiled by Casey Babcock, 2015
- Anglo-French War, 1793-1802 -- Economic aspects
- Commission merchants -- New York (State) -- New York
- Shipping -- United States
- China -- Commerce -- United States
- Europe -- Commerce -- United States
- New York (N.Y.) -- Commerce
- United States -- Commerce -- China
- United States -- Commerce -- Europe
- United States -- Commerce -- West Indies
- West Indies -- Commerce -- United States
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328