Scope and arrangement
· Holograph essay, "Sketch of a Fragment of the History of the Nineteenth Century" : [no date] : (MISC 0448) : 16 p.; begins, "In the following Sketch an attempt has been made to adopt the Temper with which the Writer believes that some Events & Persons of our Time may be considered by a future Historian ...".
· Autograph franking signature : 20 Aug 1827 : (MISC 1448) : on a postmarked envelope sheet from Samuel Rogers to his eldest brother, Daniel Rogers. Filed under "Samuel Rogers.".
· To David Cathcart, Lord Alloway, Scottish lord of session : 1 autograph letter signed : 22 Aug 1819 : (MISC 4283) : 2 pages (single sheet) : from Mardocks : begins, "I have only a moment to entreat you to give or get me certain & if possible immediate information whether a Person can be taken out of Holyroodhouse by an attachment out of the High Court of Admiralty of England ...".
· To Joseph-Marie Degerando, French jurist, philanthropist and philosopher : 6 letters : -- 1 autograph letter signed : 19 Jul 1803 : (MISC 0446) : from 60 Guilford Street, Londres : in French; begins, "Je saisis l'occasion Mon Excellent Ami que me presente le depart de M. Lowenstein de vous presentes un example du Proces de Peltier." -- 1 autograph letter signed : [17?] Jul 1804 : (MISC 0445) : from Bombay : in French; begins, "Il y a tres peu de jours Mon Excellent ami que j'ai recu ici votre lettre de 19 Nov dernier & j'envoie ma reponse ..." -- 1 autograph letter signed : 19 Apr 1805 : (MISC 0443) : from Bombay : in French; begins, "Quoique le thermometre est a present a 86 de Fahrenheit ou a 24 de Beaumar[?] & quoique J'ai tenu cette semaine deux seances de mon tribunal criminal ..." -- 1 autograph letter signed : 6 Sep 1805 : (MISC 0444) : from Bombay : in French; begins, "Depuis mon arrivée ici j'ai ecrit trois fois a mes deux estimable amis a Paris ..." -- 1 autograph letter signed : 8 Dec 1805 : (MISC 0441a) : from Bombay : in French; begins, "J'ai recu Mon Cher Ami presq'en mem tems deux ouvrages de vous qui m'ont interessé beaucoup votre Histoire des Systemes et votre lettre de 5 Novembre 1805." Along with a full duplicate manuscript copy (MISC 0441b). -- 1 autograph letter signed : [31?] Apr 18[06?] : from Hotel de Wagram : in French; begins, "Je peux Demain voulez vous mon cher ami m'envoyer deux lettres pour Lyons et Strasberg.".
· To Mrs. Graham at 7 Cleveland Court, St. James's Place : 1 autograph letter signed : 20 Jul 1817 : (MISC 0450) : from Dropmore : begins, " I enclose the notes for Mr. Cohn. I wish they may be of any use..."; mentions his recent meeting with Mme. de Staël.
· To Sir Robert Harry Inglis, politician : 1 autograph letter signed : "Monday" : (MISC 3972) : [no place] : begins, "I will wait on you on the 4th Health & Heather serving." Tipped into the grangerized copy of Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age . Shelved under Hazlitt with bound manuscripts.
· To Sir John Malcolm, diplomatist and administrator in India : 1 autograph letter signed : 4 Jun 1808 : (MISC 0447) : from Bombay : begins, "The public dispatches from the Prince of Wales would apprise you of all that can be publicly known respecting 'His Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary' &c. &c. &c. ...".
· To J. Milles, Esq. at Lincoln's Inn : 1 autograph letter signed : 2 Jan 1799 : (MISC 0451) : from Hoke House near Cobham : begins, "I deferred answering your very kind letter till I could report progress with respect to my exertions ...".
· To M. [Mondlet?] in Paris : 1 autograph letter signed : 10 Dec 1802 : (MISC 0439) : from 60 Upper Guilford Street, London : in French; begins, "Le depart de mon ami M. Greathead ne me laisse q'un moment pour vous dire ...".
· To Amelia Opie, novelist and poet : 1 autograph letter signed : 30 Sep 1805 : (O'ANA 0004) : from Bombay : begins, "Many thanks for all your late presents, your good cousin, your most affecting novel & your elegant verses." Also including, "I agree with you about the commencement of the third volume of Godwin's novel. It is most masterly. There are other admirable parts; but, taken throughout, I think it the worst of his three; though far indeed above the limits of a vulgar fate." Mounted in the grangerized copy of Brightwell's life of Opie. Shelved with oversized manuscript volumes.
· To Samuel Rogers, poet : 1 autograph letter signed : 11 Dec 1815 : (MISC 0452) : from Weedon Lodge near Aylesbury : begins, "I shall have real pleasure in waiting on Lord & Lady Spencer of whose acquaintance I have long been ambitious.".
· To Martin Archer Shee, portrait painter and writer : 1 autograph address panel signed : [no date] : (SHEE 0102) : [no place] : addressed to Shee at Cavendish Square; marked "Private." Mounted in the Martin Archer Shee Autograph Album. Shelved with bound manuscript volumes under "Shee.".
· To M. Thiers : 1 autograph letter signed : 27 Aug 1825 : (MISC 0449) : from Harrogate : in French; begins, "[? aux?] deja recu [sans?] Monsr. l'Etat de nos Finances de que vous avez desiré par les mains de M. Murray.".
· To unidentified recipients : 2 letters : -- 1 autograph letter signed to "My Dear Sir" : 5 May 1826 : (HWD 08.018) : 1 ¹/₂ pages (double sheet) : from Cadogan Place : begins, "In consequence of your letter I wrote to Dr. Bandinell at the Bodleian Library begging a little information about the mss. of Clarendon ..." Within the Abraham Hayward Correspondence Files. -- 1 autograph letter signed to "My Dear Lord" : 9 Mar [no year] : (MISC 0440) : from Ampthill Park : begins, "Accept my thanks for the valuable present of the Rerum Hibernicarum Scriptores ...".