Scope and arrangement
· Holograph poem, "Buddhist Beatification" : no date : (MISC 4023.04b) : begins, "Abstraction from all cares, all thought, all love ..." Mounted in the Mary Ann Humble autograph album. Shelved with oversized bound manuscript material.
· Holograph memorandum, "List of books to be specially kept" : [no date] : (BRNG 0066) : 1 page (single sheet) : [no place] : attribution to Bowring not without doubt; a numbered list including several Bibles and classical works; concludes with the notice, "Note the MSS Letters & pedigrees are in my tin box at the office." Along with (probably unrelated) newspaper clipping re: rental at Ravensbury Park. -- Both items formerly laid in to the Album of Autograph Letters to John Bowring.
· To Maria Gisborne, friend of Godwin and the Shelleys : 1 letter (transcript) : 21 Aug 1832 : (S'ANA 0545E) : in the hand of John Gisborne; refering to a letter recently received by Mary Shelley, on the subject of Jeremy Bentham. In the Gisborne Letterbook, filed under Gisborne.
· To Sir George Grey, politician : 1 autograph letter (draft) unsigned : 28 May 1847 : (BRNG 0044) : 1 page (single sheet) : from 1 Queen Square, West. : begins, "I have again most respectfully, but most casually to impart your early & serious attention to the state of affairs in the Isle of Man ..." -- Mounted in the Album of Autograph Letters to John Bowring. -- Shelved with oversized manuscript volumes.
· To Mary Lewin, née Peene, his sister-in-law : 1 autograph letter signed : 3 Oct 1868 : (BRNG 0065) : 1 page (single sheet) : on embossed stationery of The Athenæum : begins, "I am here for a few days on diplomatic business ..." Formerly laid in to the Album of Autograph Letters to John Bowring.
· To an unknown recipient : 1 autograph letter signed : 19 Nov 1822 (MISC 2097), in French, indirectly mentioning his recent prison experience in France.
· To an unknown recipient : 1 autograph letter signed : 4 Mar 1828 : (P'ANA 0023) : enclosing to his correspondent a letter from John Cam Hobhouse, politician -- (enclosed letter no longer present).