- Beaton, Cecil Walter Hardy, Sir, 1904-1980
- Call number
- *T-Vim 2004-006
- Physical description
- 2 drawings in 1 box, color, ca. 14" x 19"
- Preferred Citation
- Costume designs for Saratoga, Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library
- Billy Rose Theatre Division
- Access to materials
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
Cecil Beaton, theatrical designer, won the 1960 Tony Award for costume design for his work on SARATOGA. He was also nominated for best scenic designer for the same production. Consists of two drawings in water color, signed, of three costumes for the musical, SARATOGA which opened at the Winter Garden Theatre in New York City on Decmber 7, 1959. With music by Harold Arlen and lyrics by Johnny Mercer from the book SARATOGA TRUNK by Edna Ferber, the show was dramatized and directed by Morton Da Costa. The drawings include a few notes in pencil.
Source of acquisitionDrawings: gift, Robert Pirie, 05/12/2004
Using the collection
LocationBilly Rose Theatre Division
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498