- Ethiopian Hebrews Falasha Congregation (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)
- Call number
- Sc MG 653
- Physical description
- .1 linear feet (1 folder)
- Preferred Citation
[Item], Ethiopian Hebrews Falasha Congregation collection, Sc MG 653, Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, The New York Public Library.
- Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division
- Access to materials
- Restricted access. Request access to this collection.Restrictions apply
The Ethiopian Hebrews Falasha Congregation, a black Hebrew congregation, was formed in the late 1950s in Brooklyn and disbanded in the late 1960s-early 1970s. In 1988 the congregation formed a burial society and now owns and operates the Mt. Moriah Cemetery in Fairview, New Jersey where members of the congregation are buried. The collection comprises: a list of members of the congregation, 1968, prepared by Rabbi Clifford A. Woods (includes a handwritten original and typed copy); a press release regarding a bazaar to raise money to furnish and equip a building for the congregation; photocopy of a letter from Iris R. Woods to Mrs. Roy, thanking her for assistance and gifts to the congregation; and a letter certifying purchase of a burial plot in Mt. Moriah Cemetery (1997).
Preservation of the Black Religious Heritage Project funded by the Lilly Endowment.
Source of acquisition
Donated by Rabbi Hailu Paris in 1998.
Compiled by Janice Quinter, 2005.
Finding aid edited and adapted to digital form by Kay Menick in 2016.
Using the collection
LocationSchomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division
515 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY 10037-1801
Access to materialsRestricted access. Request access to this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on copyright available from repository.
access. All reproduction requests subject to limitations noted in divisional policies.