- Beth Ha-Tefilah Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation (Mount Vernon, N.Y.)
- Call number
- Sc MG 568
- Physical description
- .2 linear feet
- Preferred Citation
- Beth Ha-Tefilah Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation records, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, The New York Public Library
- Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
In 1972 Rabbi and Rabbinit Yahonatan founded the Beth Ha-Tefilah Ethiopian (black) Hebrew Congregation in St. Albans, Queens, New York as a spiritual branch of the Headquarters Commandment Keepers Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation in Harlem. By the early 1980's the Beth Ha-Tefilah congregation had relocated to Mount Vernon, New York. Although the temple is still in existence as of 2005, there is no congregation. The Beth Ha-Tefilah Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation records include the constitution, by-laws, minutes of board meetings (1963-1988); and a scrapbook containing correspondence with other Hebrew congregations, newsletters, flyers, programs and copies of telegrams expressing sympathy upon the death of members' relatives.
Source of acquisitionGift, Leana Yahonatan, July 1996
Using the collection
LocationSchomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division
515 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY 10037-1801