- Sylvern, Henry, 1908-1964
- Call number
- *L (Special) 89-40
- Physical description
- 135 sound discs, analog
- Preferred Citation
- Henry Sylvern collection of noncommercial recordings, Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound, The New York Public Library
- Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
- Access to materials
- Access to original items by permission only. Some items may be available as service copies. Other items which need preservation work may require advance notification for use. Refer to item descriptions in individual catalog records for more information.Restrictions apply
Henry Sylvern was a Russian-born composer, pianist, and bandleader best known for his work in the United States on radio programs and advertisements. Among the shows that Sylvern worked on were the Du Pont Show of the Week, the Arthur Godfrey Show, Suspense, This is Show Business, and The Man Against Crime. He wrote and performed the music for many advertisements, most notably the Pepsi Cola jingle "Be sociable.". The collection contains a wide variety of Sylvern's work in all areas. Included are selections of his advertisements for such products as Pepsi Cola, Capitol Airlines, Welch's refreshment wine, Fab detergent, and Camel cigarettes. The studio recordings consist of performances by Sylvern and his orchestra of popular songs composed by Sylvern and others. The radio programs contain samples of his work on a number of shows, including the MGM Screen test (for which he acted as musical director), Hank Sylvern Presents, This is Show Business, and Suspense.
- Sylvern, Henry, 1908-1964 (Performer)
- Popular instrumental music
- Radio advertising
- Radio programs, Musical -- United States
- Singing commercials
Using the collection
LocationRodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498
Access to materialsAccess to original items by permission only. Some items may be available as service copies. Other items which need preservation work may require advance notification for use. Refer to item descriptions in individual catalog records for more information.
Access to original items is restricted.