- New York Public Library. Rare Book Division
- Call number
- Rare Books 13-9
- Physical description
- 158 linear feet (636 boxes)
- Preferred Citation
- Rare Book Division comic book collection, Rare Book Division, The New York Public Library
- Rare Book Division
- Rare Books 13-9
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required.Restrictions apply
This collection of comic books published between 1933-2010 consists mostly of titles from mainstream publishing companies such as DC and Marvel (Series I and II respectively). However, there are a number of comics from independent companies such as Dark Horse, Archie Enterprises and Caliber Press (Series III). Much of the collection focuses on the superhero / anti-hero out to fight injustice and evil in the world - e.g. Detective Comics (Batman), Hellblazer (Constantine), Fantastic Four and Amazing Heroes. However, quite a few romance, adventure and even X-rated comics are to be found in this collection. Earlier comics within this collection are not in pristine condition and show signs of previous handling from owners.
- Archie Comic Publications, Inc.
- Caliber Press
- Dark Horse Comics
- DC Comics, Inc.
- Dell Publishing Company
- Kitchen Sink Comix
- Marvel Comics Group
- Batman (Fictitious character) -- Comic books, strips, etc
- Fantastic Four (Fictitious characters) -- Comic books, strips, etc
- Graphic novels
- Pulp literature, American
- Superheroes -- Comic books, strips, etc
- Comic books, strips, etc -- United States
- Erotic comic books, strips,etc -- United States
- Horror comic books, strips, etc -- United States
- Manga -- United States
- Underground comic books, strips, etc -- United States
- Zines -- United States
Using the collection
LocationRare Book Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required.
Apply at http://www.nypl.org/locations/schwarzman/brooke-russell-astor-reading-room/rare-books-division.