- New York Public Library. West New Brighton Branch
- Call number
- MssArc RG8 5887
- Physical description
- 1 linear foot (3 boxes)
- Preferred Citation
West New Brighton Branch Records, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library.
- New York Public Library Archives
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.Restrictions apply
The New York Public Library first offered services to the West New Brighton neighborhood on Staten Island in 1913 when the NYPL Extension Division opened a "home station" in a residence at 1006 Castleton Avenue. In 1914, library service was expanded by the opening of a store-front "community station" in West New Brighton. Public response was enthusiastic, and over the next few years neighborhood residents petitioned NYPL to enlarge the library. In 1918 NYPL expanded the operation into a "sub-branch" located at 85 State Street. In 1933 the library moved into its current branch building on Castleton Avenue. Reports, memos, news clippings and administrative files documenting operations of West New Brighton Branch of The New York Public Library.
Source of acquisition
Transferred from West New Brighton Branch Library.
Compiled by Jim Moske; machine readable finding aid created by FAKER.
Using the collection
LocationNew York Public Library Archives
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Box 3 closed to research.