- New York Public Library. Jefferson Market Branch.
- Physical description
- .5 linear feet (2 boxes)
- Preferred Citation
Jefferson Market Branch Records, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library.
- New York Public Library Archives
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
The Jefferson Market Branch of The New York Public Library, located in Greenwich Village, opened in 1967. The library occupies a New York City landmark building designed by architects Frederick Clark Withers and Calvert Vaux and was constructed during the years 1875-1876. It served as a courthouse from 1876-1945 and housed various city agencies from 1946-1958. Community members, led by Margot Gayle and Philip Wittenberg, rallied to save the building from demolition. In 1961 Mayor Robert F. Wagner announced that it would be preserved and converted into a public library. The redesign was by architect Giorgio Cavaglieri. Reports, administrative records and publicity materials documenting operations of the Jefferson Market Branch of The New York Public Library.
Source of acquisition
Transferred from Jefferson Market Branch.
Compiled by Jim Moske; machine readable finding aid created by Jim Moske.
Using the collection
LocationNew York Public Library Archives
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328