- Victory (Sloop)
- Call number
- MssCol 3537
- Physical description
- 1 v. (53 leaves), 16 cm; 1 v. (53 leaves), 16 cm
- Preferred Citation
- Account book of the sloop Victory, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
The sloop Victory of Glasco, Ulster County, N.Y. was owned by John V.L. Overbagh and William Thorp in the middle decades of the nineteenth century. In the late 1860s they sold the sloop to Captain Ira Cooper of Athens, N.Y. The owners' account book, in chronological order by year, lists expenses and income from hauling brick, stone, coal and other commodities on the Hudson River, listing frequent dockage charges for New York. Credit entries record the amount and kind of freight, name of customer and income by trip.
Source of acquisitionPurchased from, Irving Levy, 1938
- Brick trade -- Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.)
- Shipping -- Hudson River (N.Y. and N.J.)
- Sloops -- New York (State) -- Glasco
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Alternative form available
Available on microfilm; New York Public Library; *ZL-360