Scope and arrangement
George A. Harwood's collection of material related to Grand Central Terminal consists of reports and photographs documenting the background and construction of the terminal and its electrification dating from 1906 to 1914. Also included are maps and plans created by the West Side Improvement Engineering Committee in May 1927 for the project which later became the High Line.
Reports are titled "Grand Central Terminal History and Description, Specifications, Digest of Laws Previous to 1900;" " Grand Central Terminal History and Description - Signalling," which includes descriptions of train operations and a history of railroad signaling in New York and beyond; and " Grand Central Terminal History and Description - Plans" which includes maps, plans, and technical drawings of Grand Central Terminal and surrounding facilities belonging to the New York City and Hudson River Railroad Company.
Photographs predominantly document the construction of Grand Central Terminal between 1906 and 1913. Some photographs originated with the General Electric Company, and show various views and details of the original (1906) prototype NYC electric locomotive, #6000, including test and inaugural runs.
The West Side Improvement Engineering Committee material documents some of the earliest conceptualizations (1927) of the project that later became the High Line. The Committee's "Plans for the Removal of the Tracks of the New York Central Railroad Company from the Public Streets Along the Hudson River Waterfront and for Related Public Improvements" contains elevation sketches, maps, and technical drawings related to the project.
Material is arranged by subject.