- Leslie, Alexander, ca. 1740-1794
- Physical description
- .3 linear feet (1 microfilm reel)
- Preferred Citation
- Alexander Leslie letterbooks, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Alexander Leslie (ca. 1740-1794) was an officer in the British Army. Collection consists of correspondence and documents (some transcripts) pertaining to the British Army command at Charleston, South Carolina, during the American revolution. Bulk of the correspondence is letters from General Leslie and Colonel Nisbet Balfour (commandant of Charleston under Cornwallis). Documents include military warrants, accounts, orders, and reports.
Source of acquisitionGift, Kennedy, John Stewart, 1896
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Alternative form available
Available on microfilm; New York Public Library; *ZL-261