- Holmes, John, 1773-1843
- Call number
- MssCol 1423
- Physical description
- .3 linear feet (1 box)
- Preferred Citation
- John Holmes correspondence, Manuscripts and Archives Division, The New York Public Library
- Manuscripts and Archives Division
- Access to materials
- Advance notice required. Request access to this collection.
John Holmes (1773-1843), lawyer, was a United States Senator from York County, Maine. Collection consists of correspondence relating to family affairs, politics during Holmes's service as senator, his law practice, the cotton industry, Maine state boundaries, and other matters concerning York County, Maine. Includes transcripts of thirteen letters from Rufus McIntire giving accounts of the military campaign in northern New York, his views on the conduct of the war, politics, and related topics.
Source of acquisitionPurchase, C.F. Libbie & Co, 1917
- Maine -- Boundaries
- Maine -- Politics and government -- 1775-1865
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- York County (Me.) -- Social life and customs
Using the collection
LocationManuscripts and Archives Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room, Third Floor, Room 328
Access to materialsAdvance notice required. Request access to this collection.
Alternative form available
Entire collection available on microfilm; New York Public Library