- Barber, Charles Andrew
- Call number
- (S) *MGZMD 81
- Physical description
- 2 document boxes 37 folders
- Preferred Citation
Charles Barber Dance Writings, (S) * MGZMD 81, Jerome Robbins Dance Division, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.
- Jerome Robbins Dance Division
- Access to materials
- Some collections held by the Dance, Music, Recorded Sound, and Theatre Divisions at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts are held off-site and must be requested in advance. Please check the collection records in the NYPL's online catalog for detailed location information. For general guidance about requesting offsite materials, please consult: https://www.nypl.org/about/locations/lpa/requesting-archival-materials
Charles Andrew Barber, a critic, poet and theater director, wrote about dance principally for the New York Nativeand The Advocate. This collection of Charles Barbers' papers includes primarily drafts of published and unpublished articles, along with some of his background notes and materials. Also included are six items of correspondence and a few brief notes and memos.
Source of acquisition
Gift. Estate of Charles Barber, Mr. and Mrs. D. Robert Barber, Executors. Received: July 1992.
Processed by Henley Haslam.
The following materials have been separated from the manuscript materials:
- audiotapes - Location: see list below
- clippings [under names of individuals or companies] - Location: *MGZR
- clippings [Barber's writings]- Location: *MGZR Barber, Charles
- photographs - Location: *MGZE/*MGZEA
- programs, souvenir books - Location: *MGZB
- Ain Gordon interview 1-25-86 *MGZTC 3-1713
- Rob Besserer interview 11-15-85 *MGZTC 3-1714
- Bill T. Jones and Arnie Zane interview 10-25-85 *MGZTC 3-1715
- Gus Solomons interview 10-17-85 (2 cassettes) *MGZTC 3-1716 Reels 1 & 2
- Stephen Petronio interview 2-6-85 *MGZTC 3-1717
- May Sarton lecture, Brunswick, ME 6-25-82 sent to Berg Collection Aug. 20, 1992
- May Sarton Castaways ChoiceKCRW 7-1-88 sent to Berg Collection Aug. 20, 1992
- Broadway Magic vol. I & II discarded
- “Piper at the Gates of Dawn” from The Wind in the Willowsread by Robert A. Brooks of Poet's Theatre poor quality, discarded
Using the collection
LocationJerome Robbins Dance Division
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023-7498