Scope and arrangement
· Holograph manuscript, "The History of the Thirty Years' Peace, 1816-1846, Book III," signed : 31 Jan 1849 : (MISC 0658) : 304 leaves : [no place] : preface, 2 leaves, signed and dated; the main text leaves divided into six fascicles, each secured with a brass fastener in the top left corner; with many with annotations on the versos. First published by George Bell in 1877.
· Holograph sentiment signed : 15 Dec 1833 : (MISC 3943) : 1 page (partial sheet) : [no place] : begins, "How should I stop short of that [glen?] did confluence, -- the turbid Missouri, the blue Mississippi, the three prairies ..."; apparently written for an autograph collector. In the Agatha Hogsbottom album. Shelved with oversized manuscript volumes.
· Holograph title-page, "How to Observe, Morals & Manners" : [watermark = 1837] : (MISC 4095) : 1 page (single sheet) : [no place] : with epigraphs from Voltaire and Samuel Rogers.
· To Mr. T. Bell : 1 autograph note signed : 30 Mar [no year] : (MISC 4050) : 1 page (partial sheet) : [no place] : begins, "The bearer is authorized by me to receive the money, & pay my debt to you ...".
· To [?Mary Berry, poet] : 1 autograph letter signed : "Sat.y evg." [ca. 1834] : (S'ANA 0899) : 3 pages (double sheet) : [no place] : begins, "On my return this morning from the North, I found your very kind note, for which I wish to lose no time in thanking you. I assure you I enter with my best affections into all that you say in excuse of Mary Wollstonecraft ...".
· To R. H. Horne, writer : 1 autograph letter signed : 23 Apr 1844 : (MISC 4143) : 8 pages (2 double sheets) : from Tynemouth : begins, "You may quite rely on my keeping your secret. I am alone just now, & nobody sees me even open my letters." With thin mourning border.
· To Mary Hunter of Belfast, autograph collector : 1 autograph letter signed : 13 May 1846 : (MISC 0874) : 2 ¹/₂ pages (double sheet) : from Ambleside : begins, "You will, I fear, think me surly to say 'no' to your request..."; also, wishing Hunter success in her "kind efforts in the Abolition cause." With the postmarked envelope with red wax seal bearing the words, "Frisch Zu" in Gothic script, on a banner.
· To R. Monckton Milnes, author and politician : 1 autograph letter signed : 23 Oct [1848?] : (S'ANA 0042) : 4 pages (double sheet) : from Ambleside : thanking him for a copy of his edition of Keats's letters, mentioning some of Wordsworth's observations on Keats, along with her own, and commenting on her progress on The History of the Thirty Years' Peace.
· To Edward Moxon, publisher : 2 letters : -- 1 autograph letter signed : 16 Nov [1848?] : (MISC 2098) : 2 ¹/₄ pages (double sheet) : from Ambleside : begins, "Here is the whole of 'Household Education' ...; with mourning border. -- 1 autograph letter signed : 1 Mar [no year] : (MISC 4095) : 6 pages (2 double sheets) : from Ambleside : begins, "I am going to write on a subject wh will surprise you a good deal ..."; including news that John Murray has declined to publish her Eastern Travels on account of its "infidel tendency.".
· To Thomas Rankin, her uncle : 1 autograph letter signed : 12 Dec 1839 : (MISC 4051) : 2 pages (single sheet) : [no place] : begins, "I have oe moment to thank you heartily for your kindness in making out this list ..."; recipient identified as "Tho.s Ranking Esq.r" in a contemporary penciled hand on page 2.
· To Edward Walford, writer and compiler of reference works : 1 autograph letter signed : 9 Dec 1861 : (MISC 4090) : 4 pages (double sheet) : from Ambleside : begins, "The Editor of "the Queen" may or may not know that there are portraits, -- photographs & engravings both, -- sold as Florence Nightengale which are not her at all ..."; partially croswritten on page 1.
· To an unidentified recipient: 1 autograph letter signed to "My dear Madam" : "Friday evg." : (MISC 4023.30d) : 2 pages (single sheet) : from 17 Pludyer St. : begins, "I was very sorry to find that you had just left the house when I returned, this morning ..." Mounted in the Mary Ann Humble autograph album. Shelved with oversized manuscript volumes.