Filter by date range
x1901 - 1950

Found 32 collections related to Branch libraries -- New York (State) -- New York

Filtering on: x1901 - 1950
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5636
.2 cubic foot
The Councils of the New York Public Library are groups of citizens who work closely with the Board of Trustees to promote knowledge of and support for the Library. The first council to be created by the Board, in 1949, was the Women's Council, now... more
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees. Clerk
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG5 4933
.2 cubic foot
The Clerk of the New York Public Library was delegated by the Board of Trustees in its early years to carry out various official and legal duties. During the period of these records, the position was held by Alanson T. Briggs, who became the Agent... more
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees. Committee on Research Libraries
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG5 4919
1.6 cubic foot
The Committee on Research Libraries was originally named the Library Committee when it was created by the N.Y.P.L. Board of Trustees shortly after the incorporation of the Library. The Library Committee stood to oversee the selection, arrangement... more
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees. Executive Committee
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 4908
23.25 cubic feet
The Executive Committee, one of the original standing committees of the Board of Trustees, takes general charge of the administration of the affairs of the N.Y.P.L. Corporation. It is empowered to act on behalf of the Board of Trustees in between... more
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees. Committee on Branch Libraries
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 4920
.4 cubic foot
The Committee on Branch Libraries, formerly the Circulation Department Committee, and prior to that, the Committee on Circulation, oversees the operation of the circulating libraries in the N.Y.P.L. system. It was established in 1901 as a standing... more
New York Public Library. Board of Trustees. Agent for Carnegie Sites
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG5 4934
Alanson T. Briggs (1871-1946) served as Agent for Carnegie Sites of The New York Public Library from 1901-1910. He assisted the Board of Trustees in selecting sites for branch libraries, appraised them in conjunction with the Board of Appraisors,... more
New York Public Library. 115th Street Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5844
.33 linear feet (1 box)
The 115th Street Branch of The New York Public Library was opened in 1908. The library building was designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White and was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. Publicity materials and... more
New York Public Library. Branch Libraries. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5559
.33 linear feet (1 box)
Administrative records from the office of Arthur Elmore Bostwick, Chief of the Circulation Department of The New York Public Library from 1901-1909.
New York Public Library. Branch Libraries. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5560
.33 linear feet (1 box)
Memoranda, correspondence and files concerning administration of the Branch Libraries of The New York Public Library from 1909-1918.
New York Public Library. Branch Libraries. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5561
2 linear feet (1 box, 1 oversize folder)
Memoranda, correspondence and files concerning administration of the Branch Libraries of The New York Public Library from 1923-1940.
New York Public Library. 67th Street Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5868
.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
The 67th Street Branch of The New York Public Library was opened in 1905. The library building was designed by the architectural firm of Babb, Cook & Willard and was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. The branch closed for... more
New York Public Library. 125th Street Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5845
.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
The 125th Street Branch of The New York Public Library was opened in 1904. The library building was designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White and was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. Reports, administrative files... more
New York Public Library. 96th Street Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5843
.25 linear feet (1 box)
The 96th Street Branch of The New York Public Library was opened in 1905. The library building was designed by the architectural firm of Babb, Cook & Willard and was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. Publicity materials... more
New York Public Library. Branch Libraries. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5563
.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
Memoranda, correspondence and files concerning administration of the Branch Libraries of The New York Public Library from 1940-1951.
New York Public Library. Branch Libraries. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5562
2 linear feet (1 box, 1 oversize folder)
Memoranda, correspondence and files concerning administration of the Branch Libraries of The New York Public Library from 1942-1946.
New York Public Library. Central Administration. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 4946
Records of Harry Miller Lydenberg, Director of The New York Public Library from 1934-1941. Collection spans the years 1926-1970 (bulk 1926-1944), covering his term as Director and also his participation in numerous professional associations.
New York Public Library. Branch Libraries. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5565
.33 linear feet (1 box)
Memoranda, correspondence and files concerning administration of the Branch Libraries of The New York Public Library from 1946-1970.
New York Public Library. Branch Libraries. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5564
2 linear feet (1 box, 1 oversize folder)
Memoranda, correspondence and files concerning administration of the Branch Libraries of The New York Public Library from 1949-1963.
New York Public Library. Central Administration. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 4952
Correspondence from the offices of three Directors of The New York Public Library: Harry Miller Lydenberg, Franklin Ferguson Hopper and Ralph A. Beals.
New York Public Library. Central Administration. Director's Office
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 4937
Records of the first Director of The New York Public Library. John Shaw Billings (1838-1913) served as Director of NYPL from its founding in 1895 until 1913. He helped create NYPL by combining the Astor and Lenox Libraries into a public research... more
New York Public Library. St. George Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5864
1 linear foot (3 boxes)
The St. George Branch of The New York Public Library opened on June 26, 1907. The largest library on Staten Island, it was designed by Carrere and Hastings, architects of the neighboring Borough Hall and County Court House. The branch was... more
New York Public Library. Stapleton Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5872
.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
The Stapleton Branch of The New York Public Library opened in 1907 on Canal Street in Staten Island. The library was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie, and was designed by the architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings. Reports,... more
New York Public Library. South Beach Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc 5870
.33 linear feet (1 box)
The South Beach Branch of The New York Public Library, located in Staten Island, originated in the early 1950s as a "sub-branch" with limited hours and a small collection of circulating books. In 2000, the branch moved to a new building at 21-25... more
New York Public Library. Tompkins Square Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5875
3 linear feet (7 boxes)
The Tompkins Square Branch traces its origins to the Fifth Street Branch of the Aguilar Free Library, which opened in 1887 at 624 Fifth Street on Manhattan's lower east side. The branch moved several times prior to the 1903 merger of the Aguilar... more
New York Public Library. Tremont Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5878
1 linear foot (2 boxes)
The Tremont Branch of The New York Public Library opened in 1905 at the corner of Washington Avenue and East 176th Street in the central Bronx. The library building was designed by the architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings and was constructed... more
New York Public Library. Wakefield Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5882
1 linear foot (3 boxes)
The Wakefield Branch of The New York Public Library, located in the north Bronx, opened in 1938. Reports, correspondence and administrative files documenting operations of Wakefield Branch of The New York Public Library.
New York Public Library. Webster Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5884
6 linear feet (15 boxes)
Reports, correspondence, accession books, financial records, news clippings and administrative files documenting operations of Webster Branch of The New York Public Library.
New York Public Library. Washington Heights Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5883
.33 linear feet (1 box)
The Washington Heights Branch of The New York Public Library traces its origins to the Washington Heights Free Library, established in 1868. This institution merged with NYPL in 1901. In 1914 the branch moved to its present building at 1000 St.... more
The New York Public Library. Woodstock Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5889
1 linear foot (3 boxes)
The Woodstock Branch of The New York Public Library, located on East 160th Street in the south Bronx, was opened in 1914. The library building was designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White and was constructed with funds provided by... more
New York Public Library. West New Brighton Branch
New York Public Library Archives | MssArc RG8 5887
1 linear foot (3 boxes)
The New York Public Library first offered services to the West New Brighton neighborhood on Staten Island in 1913 when the NYPL Extension Division opened a "home station" in a residence at 1006 Castleton Avenue. In 1914, library service was... more